Sunday, December 3, 2017

Mid 1970's Success at Minneapolis LCS

I was in Minneapolis this weekend and was able to break away to a LCS on Friday. It's one I went to back in May, Twin Cities Sportscards.


This time I came armed with updated want lists of 1974 and 1975 Topps baseball. For 1974, I was able to knock 19 of the 25 I still needed off my want list. 


Goose Gossage, Bobby Bonds, and Thurman Munson were the highlights for me. Here's the ones I still need to complete the set. 
Hunter #7, Kaline #215, Schmidt #283, All-Star Left Fielders #336, Fife #421, World Series Game 6 #477

For 1975 I picked up Keith Hernandez and Bill Madlock. 


That just leaves Gary Carter and George Brett to complete the set. They had Brett, but wanted too much for it. 

Prior to leaving on the trip, I had just bought a big lot of 1973 Topps baseball on eBay. It hadn't arrived yet, but fortunately the seller included the missing cards from the complete set in the item description. So I was able to improvise at the card shop. I bought 77 of them, leaving 53 to go. 


Lou Brock and Harmon Killebrew are my favorites. Checklist #588 sparked an interesting conversation on how rare it was. I had no idea a checklist would be one of the more expensive cards in the set. He sold it to me for $5, which I looked up later and realize I got a really good deal. I have some 1973 buried away somewhere at home, so it's probably less than 53 that I need. And I probably picked up some doubles that day; I was trying to go by memory.  I have a rough list of what I still need on my baseball card want list page. 

In total it amounted to $20 for 98 cards. I'm a happy customer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment