Saturday, December 23, 2017

Quest for 1974 Topps Baseball Set Continues

In anticipation of getting some money for Christmas, I made a COMC order earlier in the week.  It arrived today.  It'll take a couple posts to share them all, but for starters, I took a serious swipe out of the remaining cards I need for the complete 1974 Topps baseball set.
 
This biggest catch for me was this Mike Schmidt.  As you can tell, the condition isn't great.  But this set is turning out to be a mid to lower grade set, so it will fit in well.

A couple of hall of famers here with Jim Hunter and Al Kaline.  Hunter's adjusted ERA for his career is 104, meaning he was 4% better than the average pitcher at allowing runs.  Kaline hung around just long enough to get 3,000 hits.

A couple landscape oriented cards in the World Series Game #6 and All-Star Left Fielders.  I think that's Reggie Jackson on the World Series card.  I sure hope Pete Rose lives long enough to see himself inducted into the hall of fame.

So that leaves just ONE card left to complete the 1974 Topps baseball set.  Who wants to be my hero and trade me card #421 of Dan Fife?  I can get it on ebay for $1.75 but it would be a lot more fun to trade!

A couple loose ends were tied up with the following cards.

2014 Elite Xtra Edition Signatures of Josh Ockimey.  This was the last Red Sox player with a card in 2014 that I didn't have yet.  Ockimey's been bouncing up and down between A and AA the past two seasons.  He plays that first base/designated hitter role that the Red Sox are looking to fill with J.D. Martinez perhaps.  His path to the majors is blocked if that signing happens.

2017 Donruss Rated Rookie of Andrew Benintendi.  He completes the Donruss team set for me and also wraps up what I want to collect from 2017.  This was my #9 most wanted baseball card.  Dan Fife from 1974 Topps now takes that spot!

1 comment:

  1. I have a guy who has a bunch of that set. I won't see him until January, I hope, but I will see if I can find it for you.

    ReplyDelete