Sunday, August 27, 2017

Card Show Today

There was a card show in town today.  I can't remember the last time I went to a show.  It was probably over ten years ago.  There were about 12 vendors present.  The traffic seemed very steady the whole hour and a half I was there, but I heard a vendor saying that sales hadn't been that great.  Twins and Vikings dominated the tabletops.  Most of the dealers were "older" so there was a lot of stuff from the 50's, 60's, and 70's.  There was very little from the 80's and 90's, but more from the 2000's.  Here are the cards I picked up.

He never played a major league game for the Red Sox, but Anthony Rizzo has become a star for the Cubs.  This was the only card I found today from my want list.

My Topps complete sets go back to 1976.  So any time I can find a card prior to that of a player that interests me, I buy it.  Frank Robinson appears to be wearing a heavily airbrushed Dodgers jersey in this picture.

So that's it.  Four cards for $6.00.  I was ready to spend more, but there weren't any deals to be had today.  I found several more cards that interested me, but the asking price was far above what I knew I could get them for on COMC or Beckett.  While I want to give the local yokels my business, I also need to maximize my dollars.  I heard there will be another show in October, but it'll be the same guys with I assume the same cards for sale.  I'm not sure I'll go at this point.

Oh and another thing I noticed is that there aren't many kids looking at cards!  It was 90+% guys over 40 years old I would say.  That doesn't say a lot for the future of the hobby.  Are others seeing the same thing at your local card shows?

1 comment:

  1. I've noticed the same thing, but I have noticed more kids in the local card shops I visit as of late.

    ReplyDelete